SIGN OF THE TIMES
INVESTIGATE ARCHITECTURAL CLUES that provide somehints into public access. These might be doorways, arches gateways or larger landmarks that note the location of public spaces in a distance. The use of signage details may be used, but only in relation to other architectural indicators. Do not just look for signs, but consider elements that are not directly labelled.
- shapes of gateways/ doorways
- letterforms and shapes of visible signage
- detail necessary to explain how each element is a “sign”
- tonal color
- perspective OR elevation-oblique sketch
- relationship of “signs” (architectural clues) to the context
- scale/ proportion
- photo-realistic detail, especially on signage elements
- concentration on actual signage
This assignment should help illustrate how elements in architecture can help influence behavior and an understanding of place/ location, and how signs works to highlight these.
Complete no less than two drawings per location, taking at least fifteen minutes per drawing before moving on to a new location.